Tenganan Village is located between the hills in this village, in the west and eastern part of Manggis. This village is one of the oldest traditional Balinese village located in the east part of Bali, Karangasem Regency. It is highly referenced by Tenganan Pegringsingan’s cultural literature science, which is very famous on the island.
It possesses a very unique local community life pattern that is one example of Bali Aga Village (Hindu Prehistoric) cultures and different from other Bali plain countryside.
Nowadays, this village has been designated as a destination for tourists who can present the attractive and unique things that can add to the variety of objects and tourist fascination to come. It is a small village consisting of three groups of local community (Banjar), which are Banjar Kauh, Banjar Tengah and Banjar Pande.
This village’s regional consists of three complexes that are resident, rice field and plantation complexes. Tenganan village history is expressed in several versions.
The first version mentions that Tenganan village residents are from Paneges Village, a village near Bedahulu Village located in Gianyar Regency. The second version expresses the word of Tenganan recognized by the word of Tranganan in one of Bali’s inscriptions.
The third version is expressed as praying to the Bukit Lempuyang Temple by the Tenganan Village Resident. Tenganan’s word is ascribed by a word of Tengah root that can mean aiming for the middle of Pegringsingan, the type of fastened cloth weaving typically produced by resident Tenganan village.
The resident structure in the village of Tenganan is constructed in linear form consisting of six rays. Each ray consisted of a lawn broadly, the form of the building where it was used by the local community to present tourists with the handicraft.
According to the concept of Tri Hita Karana, all mankind’s traditional existences are in harmony with God, man, and environment. Tenganan’s Tourism Destination remains to be drawn over time, goodness as a cultural object for tourism, nature for tourism and tourism for agriculture.
Tenganan Village showcases the unique traditional culture. Tenganan Village’s tourism object specification consists of:
- Countrified pattern of rural having the character of linear
- The structure of bilateral society orientation at seniority collective
- Special Ritual System in high frequency by serving the religion solidarity, artistically and social mechanical solidarity
- The tradition of Mekare-Kare on every June is a faith tradition as the screw pine in ritual context, religion value, spirit of struggle and test of physical delaying accompanied by traditional gamelan of Selonding
- The art crafting weave of cloth fastens which is famous called by Ikat Pangringsingan that is designed and arranged by the typical color.